Great Southern Rail has launched an exciting new four-day three-night Ghan journey as part of its 2015/16 schedule of epic Australian rail holidays.
The four-day Ghan adds an extra day and night to the standard Ghan journey from Darwin to Adelaide, taking guests through the heart of the Australian Outback on a 76-hour adventure that includes Katherine, more time in Alice Springs and a new excursion at Coober Pedy.
The extended service is available as a full Darwin-Adelaide journey during the 2015 peak season between 23 May and 22 August.
The four-day, three-night Ghan includes:
- Day and night Off Train Excursions in Alice Springs, including a dinner under the stars at the magnificent MacDonnell Ranges
- The option to undertake a fly-in visit of Uluru (at extra cost), getting back in time to rejoin The Ghan
- A full day to explore underground at Coober Pedy, the opal mining capital of the world
“We've previously featured some of these experiences in our special events program and on every occasion, the feedback from our guests has been extraordinary,” Great Southern Rail spokesman Steve Kernaghan said.
“It was important for us to share these incredible Outback moments with a wider audience, which is why we've now included them as highlights in our regular schedules.”
“There's really no other way you can visit three or four iconic Australian destinations in such a short space of time, while still enjoying the luxury and comfort that The Ghan delivers.
“Guests have traditionally had to end their Ghan adventure at Alice Springs to fly or drive to Uluru. With the new extended Ghan service, there's no need to compromise – you can visit the Rock without having to leave your amazing rail journey halfway through.”
The 2015/16 schedule also introduces a new range of all-inclusive highlights for the year-round Indian Pacific and The Ghan:
- Unforgettable Outback sunrise and sunset short stops on both the year-round Indian Pacific (Nullarbor Plain) and year-round Ghan (remote South Australia)
- More time to explore South Australia on the Sydney-Perth Indian Pacific journey with the option to undertake an exclusive tour of the world-renowned Barossa Valley
- An off-board dining experience in Adelaide for guests on the Sydney-Perth Indian Pacific journey
Great Southern Rail's 2015/16 journeys for The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland are on sale now. Visit www.greatsouthernrail.com.au or call 1800 725 993 to book.
For fares, timetables, images or further information, contact Great Southern Rail PR Manager Melanie Reid on 0419 848 507 or firstname.lastname@example.org.