Friday, December 19, 2014
Italian Haute Couturier Ettore Bilotta and multi-award winning photographer Norman Jean Roy unveil new Etihad Airways uniforms.
Created by Ettore Bilotta at his atelier in Milan, the new uniform exudes a classic elegance seldom seen in the aisles of modern airliners, and cleverly merges dramatic elements of old world haute couture from 1960s Paris and Rome, with the more contemporary fashions evident on the runways of London, New York, Milan and Tokyo.
The brief given to Bilotta by the airline was for a design which would represent timeless sophistication, glamour and elegance. The designer has succeeded in realising the airline's aspiration to reimagine flying by creating clothing which captures the understated style and innovation of Etihad Airways.
Key points about the new uniforms:
· Made from 100 per cent Italian wool, the uniforms feature an intricate jacquard design
· Uniquely, approximately 30 per cent of the outfits were handmade or hand-stitched
· The design merges dramatic elements of old world haute couture from 1960s Paris and Rome, with the more contemporary fashions evident on the runways
· A warm chocolate brown has been chosen as the base colour for the uniform, with a deep purple accent for cabin crew and lounge teams, and a burnt orange accent for ground crews and Special Services teams
· Hats worn by the crew are now more aerodynamic and 'retro', inspired by the iconic stars of the Hollywood Silver Screen and the sweeping formations of the Emirati desert sand dunes
· Bilotta has also taken the unusual step of breaking up the main primary shades by introducing all the secondary colours as accents on blouses and accessories
Norman Jean Roy, whose prolific career includes work for leading publications such as Vogue and Vanity Fair, leading fashion brands and Hollywood studios, was commissioned by the airline to capture a breath-taking set of images of the new collection. The photo-shoot took place on the majestic sand dunes of Abu Dhabi's Liwa desert and on location at the exclusive Qasr al Sarab desert resort.
Etihad Airways has also collaborated with leading make up experts MAC to provide their products for crew use at the airline's 'Style & Image Suites' at its Training Academy and its recently opened Innovation Training Academy.