Visitors to the Fraser Coast will be swept up in the magic of Mary Poppins this July when Queensland's most supercalifragilisticexpialidocious festival fills the town of Maryborough with its magic. Now in its 8th year this eclectic festival is held in honour of the Maryborough born author of Mary Poppins, Pamela Travers, whose story was brought to life recently in the Disney production, Saving Mr Banks.
This quirky festival transforms the heritage streetscapes of Maryborough into Cherry Tree Lane of the Poppins novels and characters come to life, including Mary Poppins and Admiral Boom, who fires his time cannon throughout the day. In 2014, LA Times listed Maryborough's Mary Poppins Festival as one of the world's best 'off beat' events not to be missed, and we couldn't agree more. Highlights of the day include:
- Dress up in your finest and bring your most amazing hat or umbrella to join in the Grand Parade.
- Enjoy a cuppa maybe with that spoonful of sugar and the performances by talented locals at the Mary Morning Tea concert.
- Witness the madcap Great Nanny Challenge, where participants dress up in traditional nanny uniform and push a traditional pram, complete with a traditional 'baby'. (Note: No 'babies' are harmed in the making of this race)
- The call is also out for people to dress up and take part in the hilarious Chimney Sweep Challenge for the young and young at heart. Remember when you're with a 'sweep, you're in glad company'.
- A special focus this year is on interactive craft experiences for the kids and there will be loads of children's workshops filled with hands-on, creative sessions involving puppets, circus troupes, arty umbrellas, vintage styling makeovers and more.
The Mary Poppins Festival has also acted as the catalyst for the introduction of Fraser Coast Street Life, a festival that celebrates the inspiring art, culture and heritage of the region. The inaugural Street Life Festival will take art and culture 'to the streets'. From pop-up gigs and busking competitions, to chalk art in the street and Mary Poppins: the Musical - Fraser Coast Street life is an eclectic assembly of the region's culture and art.
Maryborough 'The Heritage city' is 284 km north-west of Brisbane, about 3 hours' drive by car but can be reached by train, plane bus or car. More information on Maryborough and accommodation options head to visit:www.visitfrasercoast.com
So pull out the umbrella and head to http://www.marypoppinsfestival.com.au/ for more information.