NSW Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events, Stuart Ayres, said: “Vivid Sydney is the ultimate winter family event. With more interactive light installations than ever before, there's plenty to entertain big kids and small kids alike. It's something that the whole family can get together to enjoy and it's free.”
In addition to the crowd favourites of Circular Quay, Pyrmont & The Star and Martin Place, new precincts Chatswood and Central Park are set to give visitors more chances to trip the light fantastic in 2015.
“At the new Chatswood precinct families can explore an underwater fantasy world as they follow the journey of Norbert the Nautilus. Visitors to Sydney's internationally acclaimed urban village, Central Park, will see amazing animated street art from renowned contemporary artists projected onto the impressive heritage-listed brewery façade and a silent disco on the weekends,” Mr Ayres said.
With a week to go until the switch is flicked on Vivid Sydney 2015, families are being encouraged to start planning their visit.
Destination NSW's Chief Executive Officer Sandra Chipchase said: “In 2014, over 1.43 million people attended Vivid Sydney and the festival has firmly established itself as the 'can't miss event of the season'.”
“With more installations, projections and precincts than ever, we're recommending visitors to plan their visit across a few nights, with Monday to Thursday evenings best suited to families looking to avoid crowds that build during the weekend.
“There's also the chance to start the Vivid visit ahead of the official 6pm start with Martin Place and Central Park on from 5:30pm each evening,” Ms Chipchase said.
Here are just five fabulous interactive light installations and projections perfect for family fun (and check out the end of the release for more Vivid Sydney Family Favourites):
- Monster World – Located in The Rocks, here's your chance for your little monsters to meet their alter egos. As people approach the installation, digital 'monsters' curiously follow their movements, occasionally mimicking their gestures in surprising and delightful ways
- Swing Glow – First Fleet Park will host the ultimate playground adventure – Swing Glow. Illuminated, interactive swing sets will colour the air as children and adults swing into the night. Remember to let the kids have a turn.
- BeatDice – Pick up the illuminated sensor cubes, or 'BeatDice', to make some music and light the space. There's a diverse spread of musical sounds and rhythms ranging from the viola to break beats
- INTER/play – Step into a multiplayer world as the historic Cadmans Cottage turns into a magical canvas. As people move in front of the Cottage their movements are mapped and projected onto the building walls in a dazzling display of light and movement
- a game of drones – Ever wanted your own drone? Here's your chance. Take control of a playful swarm of colourful drones in a skyward bumper race using Intel-powered tablets, illuminating a massive, specially designed enclosure at Martin Place
- Mission Control – at Pyrmont & The Star where youngsters and adults will be able to control a light show that will bring The Star rooftop and the Vivid Lounge at Sky Terrace alive.
Vivid Sydney is owned and managed by Destination NSW, the NSW Government's tourism and major events agency. The annual 18 day Vivid Sydney event, staged from 22 May to 8 June in 2015, is the world's largest festival of Light, Music and Ideas.
For the full Vivid Sydney 2015 go to http://vividsydney.com